Saturday, November 29, 2014

Thanksgiving

This week has been a fascinating experience to watch the melding of different families, both my own and my wife's family.  We are lucky that both our families live in Arizona; each holiday we spend time with both our families.  However, as we have been playing games, eating food, and watching football; I have noticed a few distinct differences between our families. These differences manifest themselves in how we interact with our spouses family.  My family is much more dramatic, loud, and generally more obnoxious; whereas my wifes family is more civil. With her family  I tend to be the loud obnoxious one and with my family she is the only civil one.  The juxtaposition is fascinating and something that I will continue to observe.

It has been refreshing to observe all members of our families being themselves.  That comfort level is important to have healthy and lasting relationships.  When I have my own family with children and their future spouses, I want to create an open welcoming ambience.  I do not know how to create that ambience but I will find a way!

Also we had a funny experience with my brother and brother-in-law. Enjoy the video!!


4 comments:

  1. That's cool that both your families live near each other! I'm not married yet, but it's kind of lame to have only half of my siblings at our holiday gatherings. And it is definitely interesting to see the differences between my family and all of my in-laws.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is always so interesting to see different personality types interact. Also, it is kind of fun seeing your own in different situations, it is very adaptive in a way. I like how you are going to keep observing and learning, I am sure you will see cool insights!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's interesting how people with differences work out. Wouldn't the world be boring if we were all the same? President Uchtdorf once said: "Brothers and sisters, dear friends, we need your unique talents and perspectives. The diversity of persons and peoples all around the globe is a strength of this Church." I feel like your attitude and his teachings are very closely related. It is in fostering differences, and embracing the unique skills and talents that each person can contribute, not trying to level or equalize everyone, that we will progress most as individuals and as a society. Thanks for your words of wisdom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great goal to have. I have some pretty open in laws, and it makes a huge difference. My wife always feels like she has to impress my parents, which isn't cool. It is really nice to have all your family close by. It also makes hard to switch off time when needed. My parents and my in laws both live in San Jose.

    ReplyDelete