Saturday, November 8, 2014

MTC Life

This is my third week writing about missionaries, it has been that time of year for my family.  On Wednesday, my brother-in-law went into the MTC. My wife's family drove to Utah on Monday so we spent a few days with them. The experience helped me appreciate the importance of relationships.

In a business setting, these relationships are called networking and the ability to manage them is vital to success in the work place.  With family, they are even more precious because they will always be there.  Being recently married, I am still in the process of building relationships with my wife's family and it is difficult with many of them living far away and two of them being out of the country.  But I know if I can find ways to improve myself.

4 comments:

  1. I recently finished a book titled "How Will You Measure Your Life?" In it. the author talks about how true success can be measured. He ties in many concepts with business and also in our personal and family lives. Family relationships are key to being happy and I think it is important for all of us to focus on those relationships as much as we do our networking and business ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is definitely hard to build relationships with in laws when they are far away, I think the hardest this separating the ideas of having to like them to wanting to like them. My relationship with my in laws grew when I decided to stop trying to get them to like me and just start being myself. My relationship grew a ton with them when that happened.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is definitely hard to build relationships with in laws when they are far away, I think the hardest this separating the ideas of having to like them to wanting to like them. My relationship with my in laws grew when I decided to stop trying to get them to like me and just start being myself. My relationship grew a ton with them when that happened.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is pretty difficult to build relationships, but we do need to take advantages of the opportunities around us. Like you said, you are working on building relationships with your wife's family, and that is very important. First and foremost we need to make sure we have good relationships with the important people in our lives. This isn't doctrine or anything, but I think that if you can't make and keep relationships with the people that surround you (family/extended family) then you will not be successful making and keeping relationships with other people in your life (namely in business situations). That is my personal opinion, so take it for what it is worth.

    ReplyDelete