Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Today in my Doctrine and Covenants class we were talking about the law of consecration. My professor then asked us why are we here at BYU.  The answer most students gave was to earn a degree.  We earn a degree to get a job to make money and provide for our families.  In general, our university experience is a step on the way to our career.

He flipped the script by reminding us of the plaque at the entrance to our university which states "Enter to LEARN, Go Forth to SERVE"  Both of these words enable us to consecrate our lives to the Lord.  By learning we are more capable, educated and able servants of the Lord.  The prophets always counsel us to always be learning not only here in school but throughout our lives.

With this learning we are better able to serve him in the future.  We serve him in Church callings, Civic responsibilities, as Fathers and Mothers, Husbands and Wives.  There are so many opportunities for us to be examples to others and better their lives as the Lord has commanded.  I have decided to change my outlook on my classes, it is not all about the grade.  I need to instead focus on learning the material and how I can use my learning to help those around me in any way which I can.


3 comments:

  1. I agree with you completely. It is so easy to get caught up in the "grade game" of college, and that is such a waste when there is so many awesome things to learn; things that could really make us better people in the future. But it's really hard to find time to learn above and beyond the bare minimum required for an A. What successes have you had so far in trying to apply this? I'd love to hear any suggestions you have on how to get more out of school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joseph, thank you for your words. I walk by those BYU mission statement signs each morning, and yet I do not notice them anymore. I appreciate your reminder and your emphasis on serving. I do want to add a slight spin, one that I am sure you already realized. I agree that we at BYU to gain a degree to go forth and serve through our learning. Where I want to add though is that gaining a good grade is a very essential step for that mission to be accomplished. The world will highly compensate each of us for what it feels we are worth, and often we will be beat by someone who has received higher marks. It is not all about the grade, but scoring must be found in tandem with intent to reach potential.

    Along with that advice, I would give you some of my experience. When I really tried to learn what my professors were teaching, A's came much easier. When I went just for the grade, it was a very frustrating experience, even when I received an A. I hope this seems relevant and I encourage you to seek to be the top of your class. Which rank, one is often able to affect a greater number of people.

    Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Joe, the reminder of why were are here is always a welcome one. I feel that distraction is one of the Adversary's greatest weapons. Thanks for the insight!

    ReplyDelete